.

Friday, July 19, 2019

Saint Bridit and African American Women Saints :: travel, saints, African Americans,

One of my class mates traveles to Ireland every year. My class mate stated each time she visits Ireland that she gets a greater understanding of women in the early days. We both come from a baptist, penecostal and apstolic background, I would like to compare the roles of Saint Bridit and women in the church, the only black women preachers preached about in the baptist church was harriet tuckman. The other women talked about in church was Mary the mother of Jesus Christ. However Mary the mother of Jesus did increase my faith, however I know it was much knowledge to be gained concerning women. My Classmate who traveled to Ireland last year was able to share with me about Saint Bridit, I was anxious to know about the great saints in Ireland. I was eagered to know about Saint Bridit because when I was born my mother named me Cassandra and back in Celtic tradition my name meant Prophetess and Godesss and Bridit was considered to be a Godess as well. While attending Ohio Dominican my instructor gave an lecture on Saint Bridit and women in the ancient Celtic Tradition, which drove me to write about Bridgit. I wanted to know who this women was who brought a powerful presence to Ireland, her name was so recognized that she was honored by man and women in highplaces. I was overwhelmed when I read an article on Saint Bridit, I felt so apart of this women. Back in my mothers day and in some churches today women are not honored let alone recognized for any five fold ministry gifts in the church. My class mate recently told me she did visit a well in Ireland that was named after saint Brigit. This was overwhelming to me because when we was growing up I did know of any wells named after any African American Women Saints. When we attended the Baptist Church coming up as children, women in the Baptist church ironed the Choir robes, raised money for Pastors Aide, Coordinate Mission trips, raised money for outreach, taught Sunday School and over the Nursey. Women was not recognized as Pastors, Bishops and Founders, We knew men was in charge in the church, I noticed only time women was recognized in the churrch is when they was raising money for church and Pastor.

No comments:

Post a Comment